A lot of thought goes into finding a new place to live. We are a big family and a lot of options need to be considered for our family. Regardless if you live, in an apartment, a condo or a townhouse it’s your home. I’m happy to share with you my top tips for finding a new home.
When looking for a new place to live the first things we consider is the neighborhood.
- Is this a safe neighborhood? It may not always be easy to tell this, but if you watch local news at all there would be a trend for crime in a neighborhood.
- How is the noise? I have learned the hard way that living next to a major road or near the high way makes for a lot of noise. It could just be traffic or firetrucks, some noises you can get used to, some you don’t want to if you don’t have to.
Extra Tip: Visit the neighborhood you are interested a couple of times. Find a place to park, turn off your car and listen, see what is going on.
The idea is to find a place we are going to be happy with in all aspects of our life.
- What does the commute look like? For me, it was key to find a home close to my husband’s work and school. If I need my husband to come home quickly he isn’t too far away. The schools are also fairly close because at one time or another I will have 3 sets of kids in 3 different schools; that is a lot of driving. A long commute can get old real fast if it isn’t something you aren’t used to or have to actually be home once in a while like myself.
- Is there a park nearby? I love to take the kids to the park and our dog for a walk, so this is important for us.
- Innovative features of Apartamentos.com make it easy and fun to find a dream rental: Neighborhood Guides, 3D Interactive Tours, Polygon and more.
We looked at neighborhood and location, next we need to find one in our budget. We are a big family and need a big place or at least rooms I can bunk the kids in. Putting the budget requirements within the search range via the apartamentos.com website will help narrow this down, but are other things to consider like hidden fees. Questions you need to ask:
- What is included in the rent?
- Are all utilities covered?
- Is there a landscaping fee?
- How much is required for a down payment and how much of that will they keep regardless of how well the home is kept?
So far the new place is everything you wanted, but hows the amenities?
- Does the apartment have a washer and dryer included or at least hookups? Remember we have a big family and I have zero interest in taking all our laundry to a laundry mat. Laundry mats are a good thing though if no other options are available.
- Is there air conditioning?
- Is it cable or satellite ready?
- Other things you may have interest in like Gym, pool, banquet room, etc.
Apartamentos.com has the most properties of any rental site with over 800,000 listings, ranging from apartments and condos to townhomes and single-family rentals. And with each of those properties, you’ll find some of the best insights from folks that have been living in the complex you are interested in. Comments to look for are:
- Comments about maintenance calls; are they fast or do they take forever to respond?
- How is the site’s management; are they nice to work with or unpleasant?
- Are there comments about other renters? Are they a nice crowd or a rowdy bunch?
Here is how I use Apartamentos.com:
These are just many things to consider when looking for a new home and I hope this helps you find the best one.