Easy Baking Recipes: Tofu Lemon Tart with Olive Oil Crust
Author: Anjanette Young
Recipe type: Dessert
- Olive Crust:
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean, seeded
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cold water
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Lemon Filling:
- 1 (14 oz.) package House Foods Premium or Organic Tofu Firm
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Spray a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean seeds.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and stir it in with a wooden spoon, then drizzle in the water, and stir in together until lumpy.
- Use your hands and knead the dough until it just comes together as a ball in the bowl.
- Dust your work surface lightly with flour and dust a rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough 1 inch bigger than a 9- inch tart pan.
- Move the dough to the tart pan and press evenly into the pan.
- Prick the bottom with a fork and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chilled tart shell on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the tofu, sugar, lemon juice, flour, baking powder, and salt to the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Remove tart dough from oven and carefully pour the filling into the shell.
- Place tart back into the oven and bake for 45 minutes, until just the center of the tart is still wiggly when gently shakened.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- The filling will deflate slightly as it cools.
- Sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar before serving, if desired.