How I get my kids to help me clean.. Some might laugh at that, I do my best because it can seem like a huge battle to keep my house clean. I have an army of little people, so how do I get my kids to help me out and keep the house clean. When I simply ask for help they look at me with a blank face, but when I make it interesting, exciting or worth their time things change.
How I get my kids to help me clean
1. Create a chores list. My kids love charts they can check off or put stickers on. Pick up some stickers with their favorite character on it, smiley faces or stars. Here is the printable ChoreChart I made for my little ones.
2. Assign your kiddo an appropriate chore. It is probably not a good idea to have the little ones do dishes. My son who is 17 takes out the garbage. My 11 year old empties out the dishwasher. My 7 year old wipes the top of the table down. My 5 and 4 year old helps put away crayons and other items.
3. Set the timer or start counting. When it is time to clean the room or pick up the floor I say, “Let’s see how fast we can pick up this floor” and I start counting… Their face lights up, they get the giggles and they move faster then I’m use to seeing.
4. Make it Fun! Sometimes I even need a little imagination to get my work done. My laundry room turns into a castle with a laundry monster and my kitchen has creatures we must battle. This is when I enlist the help of my trusted knights and super heroes… Enter the cape and sword; this works best with the little kids. Get in the act and put on your mask..
5. Make it Short. We both know that cleaning house is an all day job, but not for the kids. Make their task short and sweet.
6. Turn on the Tunes. Put on their favorite music, it helps them not notice so much that they are cleaning.
7. Change Things Up. Not many like doing the same thing over and over again. Assign them a new task. Hand them some no-toxic all purpose cleaner and let them decide, supervised of course.
What’s your method for getting the kids to help clean house or at least pick up after themselves? Please share with us…