When my kids were little it is fairly easy to get them to try veggies, well at least I didn’t give them much of a choice. Now for whatever reason that has changed. Some of the kids will eat veggies while others refuse to though them.
So what a neat idea when Country Crock asked Clare Crespo for a Cookbook full of fun, whimsical, step-by-step recipes. We all know that Country Crock makes veggies taste yummy; 8 out of 10 kids agree. What happens when you add cute edible food art? Hippos, poseys, gnomes and bear paws will definitely create some food excitement.
Here is the Pizza Flag Recipe from the :
6 ounces part skim mozzarella
1 Tbsp. Country Crock®
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, rinsed
and patted dry
1 frozen pizza dough, thawed
1 cup Ragu®
Pizza Quick Sauce
2 plum tomatoes, sliced in half
lengthwise and cut into slices or 1
sliced red bell pepper or a mixture
of the two
Crushed red pepper ﬂakes (optional)
- Take two slices of mozzarella cheese and stack together.
- Use kitchen scissors or small knife to cut a few star shapes out of the cheese.
- Slice remaining cheese slices into 1-inch strips.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Melt Country Crock® Spread in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough to ﬁt a rectangular pan.
- Spread Ragu® Pizza Quick Sauce evenly over dough.
- Sprinkle spinach over top left corner of dough. Place stars on the spinach.
- Lay tomatoes (or peppers) and cheese strips in alternating strips on rest of the pizza.
- Bake 10 to 20 minutes until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden and crust is starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with crushed red pepper ﬂakes (if using).
Here is our version. I prepared our favorite homemade pizza dough recipe, while the dough was rising I assembled the ingredients so the girls could help me put our flag pizza recipe together.
Here are the girls helping me with the pizza. Look at those big happy grins.
It is ready for the oven:
And ready to eat, yummy. The kids loved it and even Papa Bear…
Are you looking for quick and simple tips and recipes to make serving veggies more fun? Download the free Clare Crespo Cookbook here for fun and whimsical recipes your family is sure to love!