School is about to start and the kids have been in full swing with Fall sports. It seems funny to say “Fall” when it has been so hot outside.
My three oldest will have a full day of school and an evening of practice or competition. So it is essential I find ways to give them proper nutrition and keep them away from the snack machines.
While I was looking at honey recipes and nutrition I came across a quote from Team sports dietitian Mitzi Dulan, RD, CSSD, and co-author of The All-Pro Diet with Tony Gonzalez…“Honey is composed of a unique carbohydrate composition making it a smart, natural, energy-filled afternoon snack. In fact, for years, sports dietitians have recommended that athletes include pure honey into their pre-exercise meal or snack for that very reason.”
Here are some of Mitzi’s tips for staying energized throughout the day:
- Staying hydrated throughout the day is an essential tool for maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle. Since honey naturally contains about 17 percent water, it dissolves easily. Just add some honey to water for a budget-friendly sports drink.
- Mix a nut butter and honey, or honey and light cream cheese, as a dip for fresh fruits or vegetables for a wholesome energy snack.
- To keep up your energy, choose high fiber foods like whole grains (wheat, rye breads, quinoa) and legumes (beans, lentils).
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and what you choose to eat sets the tone for the day ahead. Plain or Greek-style plain yogurt with a tablespoon of honey and a handful of nuts is a nutritious way to kick-start the day.
- Always aim to eat all-natural whole foods that are easy to pronounce with simple ingredients such as honey, tart cherries, avocado and spinach.
So anyway, back to the honey… I already like using local honey for health reasons so why not incorporate it more into healthy recipes for the kids’ before workout snacks. Here is a recipe for Honey Cherry Energy Bars…
Recipe courtesy of the
Latest posts by Anjanette Young (see all)
- Game Day Recipes: Delicious Recipes for the Big Game - September 14, 2014
- Fitness Friday: Beginning the Journey - September 12, 2014
- Chocolate Layered Cute Cupcakes - September 9, 2014