Earth day should be every day, as we only have one planet! In the spirit of taking care of our planet here are 7 ways that you can help the earth and save money!!
- Start a compost bin. Don’t worry, worms aren’t needed for this indoor compost bin. Personally, I use a 50/50 ratio of greens to brown, as well as blending the greens in the blender with a little bit of water. My hope is that the compost breaks down faster this way. Reducing the food scraps you toss helps the environment and saves you the cost of buying compost!
- Re-purpose containers to use as a container garden. My husband’s protein powder comes in huge containers that I am turning into planters. We have even managed to score some large soda bottles from neighbors to make a hanging herb garden.
- Enforce a “no lights when the sun is up” rule. In our house, all rooms with windows have the blinds open during the day and lights off. Save a little bit on electricity and help the earth at the same time.
- Skip the produce bags at the grocery store, when you buy a ton of vegetables that adds up to a lot of plastic bags! You can make reusable produce bags, or just go without (that is what I do).
- Instead of spending money at the amusement park take the kids on a treasure hunt! Geocaching incorporates exercise and the great outdoors into a family adventure. Just be sure to charge your smartphone first.
- Make your own window cleaner, a 1:1 ratio of white vinegar to water keeps my windows and mirrors streak free! Not to mention a cost effective, chemical free way to clean.
- Ditch the gas powered lawn mower. Reel mowers have come a very long way in the last decade; they are more user-friendly and many are self-sharpening. Even if you don’t switch mowers, be sure to leave the clippings on the lawn. It is great for the environment, your soil, and less work than bagging it!
How are you making every day Earth Day?
Originally posted Apr 2, 2013