Sweet Ginger Baked Chicken & Vegetables
2 ½ lbs. whole chicken or chicken portions
2 tablespoons honey
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 stick of cinnamon
Zest of one orange
½ cup orange juice
1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
½ inch piece root ginger, peeled and grated
Mix of vegetables such as new potatoes, carrots, butternut squash
1. Before using, soak both the pot and cover in water for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Season the chicken and place the crushed garlic, cinnamon stick and half the orange zest into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together and place in the bottom of the pot on top of the chopped onions. If using chicken pieces, layer ingredients between meat.
3. Rub the honey, pepper, grated ginger and the rest of the orange zest over the chicken.
4. Place the squash, potatoes, garlic and other vegetables around the chicken.
5. Pour orange juice over chicken and vegetables. 6. Cover the pot and place in a cold oven.
7. Bake at 450°F for 1 hour 45 minutes.
8. Remove vegetables and pour pot juices into a saucepan for making gravy. Return chicken to pot without lid to the oven for browning.
Thank you to Ten Thousand Villages for sharing this amazing recipe with us.
About Ten Thousand Villages: For 65 years, Ten Thousand Villages has been establishing long-term buying relationships in places where skilled artisans lack opportunities for stable income. The commitment to support artisans around the globe is strengthened through fair trade compensation practices including cash advances and prompt payments. As the company continues to grow, Ten Thousand Villages has deliberately married the concept of fair trade with healthy and environmentally sustainable business practices. From store operations to product sourcing to marketing practices, Ten Thousand Villages strives to meet the “triple bottom line” of economic, environmental and social sustainability.
Founded in 1946, Ten Thousand Villages has grown from the trunk of founder Edna Ruth Byler’s car to a network of more than 390 retail outlets throughout the United States. Ten Thousand Villages is an exceptional source for unique handmade gifts, jewelry, home decor, art & sculpture and personal accessories made by artisans in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Middle East. One of the world’s largest fair trade organizations and a founding member of the World Fair Trade Organization and the Fair Trade Federation, Ten Thousand Villages strives to improve the livelihood of tens of thousands of disadvantaged artisans in 35 countries. Product sales help pay for food, education, healthcare and housing for artisans who would otherwise be unemployed or underemployed. For more information, visit tenthousandvillages.com.