2. Spray 9 x 13 inch (22 x 33 cm) cake pan with canola oil.
3. In large bowl, beat together granulated sugar and canola oil until fluffy. Mix in eggs and pumpkin purée until well combined. Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and cloves. When fully combined, stir in dates and pecans.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake cakes for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Let cake cool completely in pan. While cake is cooling, make maple glaze.
5. To make maple glaze: sift confectioner’s sugar into small bowl, pour in maple syrup and whisk vigorously with fork until smooth. Add additional maple syrup if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
6. Cut cooled cake into 36 small squares. Remove cake squares from pan and dip top of cakes into maple glaze. Place on rack and let glaze harden.
Yield: 36 mini cakes.
Tip: Serve on a cake stand for a pretty presentation.