Here is our delicious recipe for Homemade Chocolate Pop Tarts. But Wait! They are not just chocolate pop tarts they Chocolate Caramel filled pop tarts. The Caramel was sent as a gift and I have had much fun using it my other recipes like the Caramel filled Chocolate Cupcakes.
Now it is time to make these pop tarts and like all pies what is most important is the perfect crust. My pie crust recipe is super easy:
- 1¼ cups unbleached flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter, chilled and cubed
- ¼ cup ice water
- In a bowl combine flour and salt. Add your cold butter cubs and cut until it is course and crumbly. I like to either use my standing mixer or my fingers. I know this is a no no, but it just works best for me.
- Stir in water, a little at a time until mixture makes a ball. If time allows it is best to chill this overnight. for this recipe, I went right to rolling it out.
Once you are ready to work with your pie dough use the following recipe to make your Homemade Chocolate Pop Tarts.
- Pie Crust
- Chocolate Chips
- Nestle Dulce De Leche (Caramel)
- Roll out your pie crust as close as you can into a rectangular shape
- With a pizza cutter cut dough in half length wise and vertical into many rectangles
- Add a couple teaspoons of caramel and sprinkle some chocolate chips
- Once half of your dough pieces are ready with caramel chocolate chip mixture wet all four edges with water. Use your finger or brush, just do so lightly.
- Add layer of dough and crease each side with fork and poke once in middle.
- Wisk an egg and brush lightly over your uncooked pop tart
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes (keep an eye because ovens vary.
- Enjoy fresh from the oven.
If you could make a homemade pop tart, what flavors would you add?
If you would like more Easy Baking Recipes to add to your recipe box, here are a couple of great lists: