There are a lot of recipes apps out there. There is a new app that is a step ahead of all the rest. The new app called SideChef offers a narrated voice guidance that will read a recipe, step by step. You can say “next” or “back” to move forwards or backwards. The “Her” voice command calmly reads the recipe allowing you to be hands free to cook. hands to be free and cooking to be fun and enjoyable. Automatic timers keep cooks on track as they continuously run on the app as users progress through the recipe. Below is Gumbo Recipe by Sami Berger just in time for Mardi Gras and an example of great recipes SideChef has to offer…
- 4 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
- 250g okra, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (see below)
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1 ½ teaspoon cayenne (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- In a large pot, heat up 2 tablespoons of canola oil. Fry okra until they start to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Make your roux: Over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of canola oil, butter and flour to the pot. Stir with a wooden spoon constantly until the mixture smells nutty and turns a medium-shade of brown (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add red pepper, green pepper, yellow onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Stir, scraping the bottom of the pot and cook until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Make sure you keep stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot so the flour mixture doesn’t burn.
- If you are making your own Cajun seasoning blend, mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Add Cajun seasoning and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add bay leaves and stock. Bring to a simmer and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook until cooked through.
Do you have a favorite Gumbo Recipe?
More that may be of interest…