Mighty Meat Bison with Mushroom & Onions
- 4 four-ounce grass-fed, free-range bison steaks
- ½ pound button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- ½ pound onions, thinly sliced
- 1 ounce balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup Low-Sodium Very Veggie Juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Sear bison for about 90 seconds per side, or until a crust is formed but the meat is not fully cooked. Remove bison from pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, and onions to the pan; sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with vinegar. (To deglaze: Pour vinegar into pan, then gently scrape bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the caramelized juices.)
- Add wine, Knudsen Low-Sodium Very Veggie Juice, thyme, and tarragon. Simmer for two minutes.
- Add bison steaks back to pan and simmer until bison is cooked through.
This recipe is courtesy of