Chef George Duran’s Mexican Beer Battered Tempura
· 1 bottle of cold Mexican beer, such as Corona or Dos Equis
· 1 cup of flour, plus more for flouring
· 1 teaspoon of salt
· 6 large raw shrimp
· 1 small sweet potato
· 1 small red pepper
· 6 asparagus spears
· 1.5 quarts vegetable oil for frying
· Tempura sauce or dumpling sauce for dipping
1. In a bowl, mix 1 cup of beer into the flour. Then add enough beer until the batter is smooth and lightly coats a spoon. Mix in the salt.
2. Make several shallow cuts across the inside curve of each shrimp. Press the shrimp gently to help prevent curling.
3. Flour the vegetable pieces and the shrimp, and then set them aside.
4. Heat oil in the IMUSA Non-Stick Wok until it reaches 375° F.
5. Working in small batches, dredge each vegetable piece until they are completely coated and place in IMUSA wok for 2-3 minutes, turning often, until golden. Then, place each piece on the drip tray. Dredge the shrimp last and fry the pieces for 3 minutes until golden brown.
6. Serve the tempura with dipping sauce.
7. Note: You may use many other sliced vegetables for this recipe including mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots and turnips.
The IMUSA Non-Stick Wok can be found at Target.
Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post, thought you would like a little spicy variation this Cinco e Mayo.