More and more friends around me are being diagnosed with celiac disease or a gluten sensitivity. Here are some helpful tips if you are just starting out..
- Get familiar with what Grains and Starches are Safe or Unsafe
- Gluten-free cooking is all about learning how to substitute gluten-free grains and starches for wheat, barley and rye, in all of their various forms.
- Take a list with you when you shop and always read labels. Because gluten can turn up just about anywhere, so read product labels carefully. When you aren’t 100% certain that a food is gluten free, contact the manufacturer before buying it.
- Prevent Cross-Contamination in Your Kitchen.
- Designate one area in your kitchen for storing and prepping; surfaces, pans, utensils, toasters, mixers…
- Find A Good Gluten-Free Cookbook.
We just have to learn a new way of cooking and carefully choosing our foods. Here are some gluten free recipes to get you started.
We have a lot more here on Momma Young at Home, check them out Gluten Free Recipes…
Do you have any favorite gluten free recipes?
Here are some other recipes from around the web I have collected. Please double check that they are gluten free…