As bloggers we are always looking for tools to help boost our numbers. Many have been using Twitter, Facebook and the latest and greatest Pinterest, but what about StumbleUpon?
I have asked a friend of mine and fellow blogger Lena Burkut fromto give us some do’s and don’ts when it comes to StumbleUpon (SU).
So you want to get up close and personal with Stumble Upon? Do you think it’s confusing? Spend some time to understand how it works and it might become a great source of traffic for you, but you have to play by the rules.
- SU traffic is so inconsistent – you might get a bucket full of traffic today and 3 visits tomorrow. Find the categories you like – SU will send you articles from the categories you picked, so make sure you are actually interested in these stories. Be generous with thumb ups. If you like the article – click the button.
- Be consistent – thumb up your own post and the posts of others. As a matter effect, spend some time exploring other sites through SU daily.
- DO NOT discover more than two posts a day from your own site
- DO discover your own posts. I am sure you have heard this is not a good idea, but who has time to discover posts for other people. I always discover my own posts.
- DO NOT give your friends and colleagues direct link to your post and ask them give it a thumbs. The site knows who comes to your articles directly following the link and considers it cheating. Instead, ask people to copy and paste the url in the browser. Don’t do this: www.URL.com/postname, do this: URL.com/postname
- DO NOT SPAM. Don’t overshare with your followers. If you spam, that is just not nice
IF YOU DON”T FOLLOW THE RULES
If SU doesn’t like what you do, you will land on the blacklist you and it won’t send you any traffic.
Even if you do everything right, you might still get blacklisted. All it takes sometimes is for somebody to hit Thumbs down on your post and you are in a dogs house. Since SU traffic is not consistent, pay attention to what is going for few days. If after few days you see no change, ask your friend to give your post a thumbs up and try spending more time exploring other sites through SU.